Tuesday 26 May 2020

Frostgrave. On the way to Felstad



Hi!
My name is Salvo. I'm a captain of soldiers. OK, a mercenary captain of mercenary soldiers. My friend and second in command, Mimi, and I were contracted to take Sister Rosa and her novice/apprentice Samira (are they nuns? wizards nuns? I have no idea) to Felstad. That frozen city where weird goings on are happening and fortunes are to be made, some say. There we will form a company to protect the wizard as she searches the  city.

Well. I've done weird but never made a fortune yet. But they say Felstad is on a different level because wizards made things there. Things made from spells, potions, conjuring, summoning and such. But I've got a shield, sword, armour and my friend. I'll survive, Inanna willing. To be fair, She has gone out of Her way over the years since I took up the sword.
And there's gold, silver, jewels, and artefacts to sell to the rich. If you get out alive.

Sister Rosa hasn't exactly said what she is after in that place so we have to go on trust. And money. Payment upfront for the journey helped make up our minds. You don't get those offers too often.

This Sister and apprentice are not native to this country. They have an accent. They roll their R's. That's the letter R not the other one. And they are a little dusky in skin tone. Still, money is money and that's my game.

We weren't expecting too much trouble on the way. After all, two Sigilst wizards and two hard-cases meant most wouldn't try to argue with us.We were a still a couple of weeks away when we approached an inn, The Ryhope Wood Inn (Mythago Wood). It looked a decent place.
Until, that is, two skeletons appeared out of the front door at our approach. And from the woods at either side of the buildings.One from the far side and two from the near side. Five by my count, but there could be more.
Even before I could move Sister Rosa moved ahead of me and cast a spell of some kind ( elemental bolt). Nothing seemed to happen. I heard the apprentice cast a spell (explosive rune), again nothing seemed to happen.
Well, I thought, time to earn my keep! I ran forward towards the two coming from the inn. I took the first one down with one swipe of the sword.
Mimi told me later he moved to position himself between the novice and the two coming from the woods to the left of the inn. He said the skeletons moved towards him, and I heard a bang, he said they suffered a little damage.
As I was attacked by the skeleton left in front of me I could see the other one passing to attack Sister Rosa. I blocked the sword aimed at my head with my shield. Mimi had taken care of one of the others. Sister Rosa cast another spell (elemental bolt) but, again, nothing seemed to happen.
I feinted to the left and took the head off the skeleton.The remaining skeletons moved into contact. Mimi took care of his and, despite not being much with spells, Sister Rosa took out the other with her staff. 

We went cautiously into the inn but found no one, and no skeletons or anything else. What happened to the inn keeper we have no idea.We stopped for the night, taking turns to keep watch.

In a quiet moment, Sister Rosa explained she had a virus and it had affected her spells. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. All I know is, if she can't stop a few skeletons it might not be a good idea to enter the frozen city proper with a dodgy wizard.
Another thing I know is this too, if we are encountering spooky things this far from Felstad how much worse is going to be from here on in?

Ryhope Wood Inn



Salvo, the good looking one

Mimi, the less fortunate

Sister Rosa
Apprentice Samira

Skeletons appear, front and right

and from the left

Sister Rosa flunks the spell

I get handy with my sword

Animated skeletons meet their match



No comments:

Post a Comment