Wednesday 15 July 2015

6mm Greeks v Persians

 I thought it time to get a few Persians on the table to see how they fair under the Ancient and Medieval Wargames Rules by Neil Thomas. Today is the start of a battle a battle between Greeks and Persians.
I am using the TSS (http://totalsystemscenic.com/) 2' tile as the battle field with some wooded low hills and a river. It neatly narrows the battlefield.


These are the starting positions with the Greeks at the top of the picture.
I decided to halve the number of bases used for units as I think 4 is excessive. Really, I think 1 is sufficient which is what I used in the previous games using his Ancient Rules.
The Greeks:-
4 units of Hoplites
2 units of Peltasts
2 units of Psiloi (skirmish infantry)
2 units of Heavy Cavalry
I am using the Thracians as allies here, so could claim it to be on either side of the Hellespont.


The Persians
4 units of Heavy Infantry bow
2 units of Peltasts
2 units of Heavy Cavalry
1 units of Light cavalry javelin
1 unit of Light Cavalry bow
You may notice that the Persian infantry with bow are on double depth and width bases.
I have been using these with DBMM (http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/index.html) rules and I think it adds to the look of the army. Just my personal opinion, you may have another.


I diced for initiative and the Persians moved first, advancing, the cavalry moving in ahead of the infantry.
The Greeks also advanced but keeping the cavalry in line with the phalanx. Only the Psiloi moving to ahead to engage the Persians. This ended the first moves.



No comments:

Post a Comment