Friday 28 July 2017

Napoleonic update

Hi!
Here are the first pictures of the Austrians cavalry, based and almost ready for action. I have yet to paint the cavalry standard of the Hussars. I also have to attach the stats on the rear of the base and add a command section to the cuirassiers. Possibly even the Hussars.
Austrian Hussars, Uhlans and Cuirassiers



The cavalry work out well as 1 figure = 2 squadrons. As each base = a division that is 3 divisions of cavalry.
You may notice that the front of the base of the cuirassiers is darker than the back. I paint the bases prior to flocking to give better coverage.
A problem with the infantry. I tried to maximise the facing colours of the infantry in the Austrian army. I had wanted 4 units to a base with 2 units of each with the same facing colours. One behind the other. This wasn't strictly necessary as each individual unit would be 2 battalions of the same regiment. But I wanted the look of it. I thought I had done enough but have found it not to be the case.
I could make up an avant-garde unit with the cavalry and one unit with some artillery thrown in. I like the thought of that. But that would mean a sparse base as the avant-garde was only brigade strength. I could halve the stats to give a proportionate effectiveness. I wonder if anyone else has done that?
I will take a moment to assess the quantity and type of figures required to make up the bases for what I have at the moment. It will mean that I will drop the French start for now to finish the Prussian and Austrians as there will be extra painting. But it will mean larger armies for both. This re-evaluation is because I had wanted to clear all the unpainted figures that have built up. Now I have to add to the pile!
I know, though, that I am short of cavalry for the Prussians so this is no bad thing.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment