Wednesday 30 May 2018

Campaign 2018

Hi!
A couple of weeks ago I attended Campaign 2018. This is my local show and one I rarely miss. I haven't been to any other show for some years, Reading being the last one about 9 years ago.

Campaign has had some ill luck of late. The centre management have made things a little difficult for MKWS to hold the show there. Some of it is on commercial grounds, they hope to attract a more rewarding (for them) occupant. So far no takers. Also on aesthetic grounds. The untidy tops and underneath of tables making it seem a bit of a jumble sale.
MKWS have tidied up the tables by putting skirts around to hide the jumble underneath and the tabletops are much tidier than before.
Even so. The centre management saw fit to only inform the club they could use the hall in January. This had an effect on traders, participation games and exhibition games. Some preferring the certainty of other shows without the lateness of confirmation.
But that is by-the-by.

The show was fine, if a little thin.
The competition games went on as normal.

Several stalwarts:-
Society of Ancients
Northampton Battlefields Society 
Lance and Longbow Society
Products for Wargamers, were in attendance.
I didn't make a list unfortunately as I wasn't going to do post about it.
I took number 3 son along. He and number 2 son came along a few years ago just to please their dad.

We had a game of Bolt action, I think. Where I beat him, bad dad that I am, using the Germans against his Americans. The scenario was quite simple. I had to have one vehicle within a certain distance of the centre of the town. He had to be within the same distance but with none of my vehicles being within it.


Here is a picture of the table.
Two infantry units in the fields.
Two anti-tank guns. One on the hill on the left (as you look) and one in the wood. Both these units had restricted fire arcs.And 3 light vehicles who's name eludes me.
The counter in the village is focal point.
He had 4 tanks.
Suffice to say. I brewed one of his tanks early on and he was a little too hesitant to move forward and engage me.
He hasn't learned the meaning of maintenance of the aim, not being a tabletop wargamer.

He also took on the Dambusters challenge.



He succeeded admirably though taking a lot of flak. Well done! Having only two engines left working, his chances of making it back to blighty were on the slim side.
Thank you to Peterborough Wargamers for a great game.

Due to the small trading presence I didn't buy an awful lot. Mainly bases for the trees, bamboo grove, hills and rough terrain from Products for Wargamers.

The bring and buy was pretty spartan this year also. So no purchases there.

Hopefully, it will be back with more traders and games next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment