Monday 26 February 2018

Oh dear!

I'm not a picky sort of person. Not generally.
But I've just watched an episode of Endeavour on the ITV hub. The episode was set around a murder committed on MoD property in the mid 1960's. For those not familiar with the show, it is spin off of the Inspector Morse TV series (originally just Morse) which was very successful in the 1990's.
One of the characters was a professor of history who was writing a history of the regiment. The regiment was going to be amalgamated with another unknown regiment and was being posted to Germany.
This character was also a wargamer. In one scene he was asked about playing with toy soldiers and claimed the battle on the table was Cannae. It had Napoleonic figures to my eye.
Now, I know we sometimes use different figures from the period we are playing. I don't but I know some do. But this just seemed off to me. Of course, he turned out to be the murderer.
Also, this is the second episode in this current series, the second in a row, where the murderer has been a hobbyist. The previous one was a train spotter and model railway enthusiast.
Is the writer against hobbies? Was he made to play wargames against his will? Go train spotting and play with a train set when he was younger? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment